Monday, February 17, 2014

My Digital Story Experience

Looking for a quality program to use to make a digital story? Well I have just what you are looking for... in fact I have two!

Photostory 3
This program is only available for Windows. You can download it for free on the Microsoft site, it is really quick! This program is very simple to use, it has an easy to follow step-by-step process. First step is to import pictures from your computer, can put them in order and edit them. Then you can add titles/captions to whatever pictures you want. You can even record narration if you want, a voice recorder is included in the program. After you can set timings and can add music. Careful about copy right! To avoid copyright you can either create your own (if you got the voice or instruments to do so) or Photostory3 has pre-made music that can be used. Save story as a .wmv file and it's ready to go! It was really easy to use and turned out to be pretty decent! Check it out:

Animoto.com
Want a digital story that looks more polished and is even easier to use? Animoto is an online video creator with a free and upgraded (costs money) accounts. The free version only allows you to make a 30 second video whereas if you get an upgraded account (only $5/month or $36/year) you are able to make longer and more polished ones. There are different packages available, for example they have an education package that can possibly be used for classroom use.

To start making a video click "Create" then pick a template. Animoto includes pre-made templates and obviously the fancier ones usually cost money and the basic ones are free with the free account. Then the video creator page comes up, where you can add pictures (either your own or Animoto includes some that are available to use). When I made my Animoto video I used my own videos and downloaded some from Compfight.
 Compfight: an image search engine tailored to efficiently locate images for blogs, comps, inspiration, and research. We make good use of the flickr™ API, but aren't affiliated with flickr.
Then I edited those photos (to include photo credits) with Pixlr, which is an online photo editor. Remember, be careful of copyright! So if you use a photo that is not your own, add and include the photo credit. After the photos are added on Animoto you can add text. Now when I tried to do this, I wasn't able to include as many slides because the added text added extra time to my video (only allowed 30 seconds). So what I did is when I edited in Pixlr I also added text. Upside, I was able to include more pictures. Downside, I couldn't change the timing of the slides in Animoto so there is barely enough time to read the words. Animoto also has pre-loaded music to use and with copyright issues again I would suggest not using music that was downloaded (hopefully legally) off of iTunes. After the video is done preview it, create it and then can embed it to include it in say a blog :) The other nice thing about Animoto that it includes how schools/classes are using the program. Check out my Animoto video here:



I had a lot of fun creating my digital stories! I ended up sharing them with my family and they really enjoyed them too! This is just evidence that digital storytelling is not just used for reading a story book. It can be a lot more and create some powerful messages/videos!

Until next time... JD

No comments:

Post a Comment