Sunday, January 19, 2014

Word Cloud Fun

All About Word Clouds

In Class last Thursday we were required to create a word cloud about what we thought about technology. Now what is a "word cloud" you ask? A word cloud is a visual representation of user-generated electronic tags or keywords that classify and describe online content. Typically a word cloud  is a group of words in different font sizes and colour or provide links to other information. 


My Word Cloud Experience

The website I choose to use to create my word cloud was Wordle. It was (for the most part) easy and quick to use, but I did have some minor troubles with it. For starters in order to share my Wordle, I had to create it, take a screenshot, save it, crop it, save it as an image and then I could share it. It was somewhat a tedious process, but thankfully it wasn't too difficult to figure out. In addition once you input your words to create the Wordle, you can't go back and edit them. So a word of advice if you choose to use wordle: once you input your words be sure to copy them before creating your Wordle that way you can go back and edit if you need to!

All-in-all making a word cloud was pretty fun! It was an interesting way to share what I as a pre-service teacher thought about technology. Here's what mine looks like!


Wordle is one of many word cloud generators available on-line, others that I know of include; WordItOut, Tagul, Tagxedo.
Home
                  http://tagul.com/
Word It Out logo
http://worditout.com/

http://www.tagxedo.com/



Wordle Logo
http://www.wordle.net/



Class Room Uses 

In class we were brainstorming ways that we could use word clouds in the classroom with our students and we came up with quite a few ideas! Some of them were; to introduce or conclude a unit, use as exit slips, introduce new vocabulary, or to review classroom rules. One suggestion that our professor gave us was to use it as a way of analysing or summarizing an article (there is sometimes an option to enter a URL of a website). Out of curiosity I typed in the URL to my blog to see if it worked and this is what I got! 


My advice is to try out word clouds out and see what you can come up with...it's surprisingly fun!

Until my next post... JD

1 comment:

  1. Good overview of word clouds - doing it for your blog is a neat way to look at the concepts and focus of the posts.

    ReplyDelete